Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Coming From Where I'm From

I grew up in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. When you enter my neighborhood, you bear witness to extraordinary monuments and historic treasures. As you dig deeper, low-income areas and poor-performing school districts begin to cloud your vision of the nation's capital.

As I prepare to return to college for my senior year, I'm reminded of my friends from high school who never received the opportunity to attend college due to poverty. In my household the question was not if I was to attend college, rather, what college was I going to attend? Unfortunately, this was not case for many of my peers. The college application in it of itself is a barrier to receiving higher education. After all, if you or your parents are struggling to put food on the table how can you afford to apply or pay for an education?

More...

car detailing wash

No comments:

Post a Comment